For older guitars, a fret dress precedes a guitar setup, but for newer, old stored items, or 2nd hand guitars just giving the frets a new lease of life may be sufficient.
There are several methods of dressing frets, we generally follow this process:
- The guitar is fixed into a specially designed “jig’ which allows for the neck to be adjusted and then held perfectly straight
- The Neck is checked with specially designed straight edges and adjusted until perfectly straight and the current Fret height is noted
- The Fretboard is taped with masking tape for protection
- The Frets are check for high spots and notes taken
- The Frets are then leveled using an Oilstone/Diamond Sharpening Stone and then with progressive wet/dry high quality sandpaper
- Once the Frets are level, the Frets are flat on the top and require Re-crowning with luthier files. Once all the Frets are Re-crowned and the scratch marks are removed, they are then polished with compound to achieve a high shine which looks great and makes string bending much easier
- The masking tape is then removed, the Fretboard is cleaned and treated and the Fretwire gets another final polish.
- The guitar is now ready for a full Set Up
Please call 07837 370 578 for further information or contact us